The Sharks Development Plan Programme (DPP) has the aims of:
- Provide a holistic and player centred experience for all players in the programme.
- Assist to retain more players within the game at 16+.
- Increase the number of players with enhanced skills moving upwards in the talent pathway.
- Provide a positive view of the sport by players, parents and other stakeholders.
- Develop coaches both within the talent pathway and community game with enhanced skills and knowledge to meet the needs of players at this stage in their development.
- Strengthen clubs and schools by improving the standard of the players within them.
The Sharks Player Development Group (SDG) is for identified young players aged 15yrs - 16yrs.
Junior Academy (U17-U18)
This group is composed of our elite performers from U17-U18 who show the greatest potential to progress to the senior academy. This group continues to develop the technical aspects of Performance Development, with the introduction of the physical components through a planned strength and conditioning intervention alongside a focus on the mental components.
Senior Academy (19yrs-23yrs)
The Senior Academy (U19-U24) is representative of the Sharks young professional players. These players train with and follow the first team training roster at the Sharks and receive additional individual coaching and development in addition to regular feedback and analysis from the coaching team.
Most of the Senior Academy will play in our A League Team with a view to challenging for first team selection. Away from the club, players may also be dual contracted to continue their development at an appropriate level with clubs in National Leagues.