Job title: Education mentoring Officer
Department: Sale Sharks Foundation
Manager: Education Programme Manager
Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week
Salary: £20,500 – £22,500
Closing Date: Sunday 4th June 2023
Sale Sharks Foundation is the independent charity of premiership rugby club Sale Sharks. We collaborate with public, private, and third sector organisations across Greater Manchester to deliver bespoke projects that help us achieve our mission ‘To improve lives through the power of rugby’. We support 12,000 participants yearly to engage in needs led projects across our strategic areas of; Community Inclusion, Education, and Rugby Development.
We are community based, operating an outreach programme, working in partnership with key community organisations to places our coaches at the heart of neighbourhoods where our work is most needed. This involves delivering activities in the most underserved communities, using rugby as a catalyst to champion social inclusion, supporting people to overcome health and social inequalities and bringing rugby to the next generation.
As an Education Officer for the Alternative Provision mentoring for Sale Sharks Foundation you will be responsible for providing mentoring and tuition to young people in mainstream and alternative education.
Education officers work with children at every stage of mainstream, specialist or alternative education. These are often children who struggle to engage with mainstream education, are Looked After Children or have experienced trauma leading to difficulties in school.
The successful candidate will plan and deliver effective tuition, activity or sports sessions. They will act as strong, positive role models, support behaviour management systems, provide creative approaches to engagement and communicate effectively through emails, learning plans and reports.
The Education Officer will report to the Education Programme Manager who will provide support to ensure effective mentoring and development in the role.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
There are a number of key aspects to this role. The successful candidate will;
- Plan and deliver tuition, sport and mentoring sessions for children at all stages of mainstream and specialist education and organize creative activities, off-site activities and community links support to participant’s engagement and positive progress
- Act as a strong, positive role model for children of all backgrounds to both participants and school partners through both actions and performance
- Keep accurate attendance and monitoring records for all sessions and contribute to the creation of Individual Learning Plans, Personal Education Plans and Educational Health Care Plans
- To maintain strong relationships with schools, managers and referral partners through effective and regular communication
- Ensure subject knowledge and knowledge of qualification requirements is up to date in line with requirements of training providers and the Department For Education
- Any other relevant duties as required by the employer It is key to this role that candidates:
- Understand and implement the Foundation’s Safeguarding Policy, procedures and best practice guidelines and to use this understanding to ensure safe working practices, appropriate reporting of concerns and contribute positively to a safe environment
- Continuously evaluate the success and standards of their work and that of others, through rigorous self and departmental reflection and analysis. This includes creating a CPD plan
- Are able to work flexible and unsociable hours where this is required by the role
- Demonstrate the Sale Sharks Foundation values at all times
- Promote Sale Sharks Foundation and Sale Sharks brand and ethos in a professional and positive manner
- Be committed to applying and promoting equality, diversity and inclusion across Sale Sharks Foundation and comply with all Charity policies and procedures
Qualifications & Experience:
- Proven experience of planning and delivering high quality activities for young people
- Experience of community work to engage young people in education or enrichment activities
- Experience of assessment, monitoring and evaluation
- An understanding of safeguarding procedures
- A passion for the community and making a difference
- An ability to inspire others
- A commitment to the aims, vision and values of Sale Sharks Foundation
- Ability to work within a team and foster good working relationships
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Excellent communication and motivation skills
- Willingness to work flexible hours
- Full driver’s license and use of a vehicle
- NGB Level 1 or Level 2 coaching awards
- Level 3 in Teaching and Education or equivalent (or be working towards it)
- Degree qualified or strong academic record
- Experience of community engagement and involvement
- Experience of mentoring young people or adults
Please send a CV and a covering letter setting out why you believe you are our ideal candidate, along with your completed Equality, Diversity & Inclusion monitoring form to email@example.com by Sunday 4th June 2023.
Please download and return the documents below before sending your application: